Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Bookmark and Share
File #: 22-0119    Name:
Type: Status: Agenda Ready
File created: 7/28/2021 In control: City Council Legislative Meeting
On agenda: 9/28/2021 Final action:
Title: Consideration of a Resolution for Submission to the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) for Regional Transportation Funding in FY 2026 to FY 2027. [ROLL-CALL VOTE]
Attachments: 1. 22-0119_Attachment 1 - Resolution (Updated), 2. 22-0119_Attachment 2 - NVTA Funding Summary, 3. 22-0119_Attachment 3 - NVTA 70% (updated), 4. 22-0119_Final Resolution
City of Alexandria, Virginia
________________

MEMORANDUM


DATE: SEPTEMBER 21, 2021

TO: THE HONORABLE MAYOR AND MEMBERS OF CITY COUNCIL

FROM: MARK B. JINKS, CITY MANAGER /s/

DOCKET TITLE:
Title
Consideration of a Resolution for Submission to the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) for Regional Transportation Funding in FY 2026 to FY 2027. [ROLL-CALL VOTE]
BODY
_________________________________________________________________

ISSUE: What should the City propose to the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) for 70% regional funding in FY 2026 to FY 2027?

RECOMMENDATION: That the City Council:

1. Adopt the resolution (Attachment 1) to approve applications to the NVTA for 70% regional transportation funding for up to $5 million for West End Transitway Phase II Design of South Van Dorn Street and up to $5 million for the Holmes Run Trail Bridge at Morgan Street; and,

2. Authorize the City Manager to submit the proposal to the NVTA and enter into any necessary agreements with NVTA to accept the funds.

BACKGROUND: In April 2013, House Bill 2313 was signed into law, levying additional taxes and a fee in Planning Districts that meet population, motor vehicle registration, and transit ridership criteria. The revenues generated in Northern Virginia through these taxes and fees are deposited into a fund managed by the NVTA. Thirty percent (30%) of the funds are distributed directly to member localities to use on transportation projects. The remaining seventy percent (70%) of the funds are distributed by NVTA for regional transportation projects. Since FY 2014, the City has been awarded approximately $179 million in NVTA 70% regional funds, the bulk of which went to the Potomac Yard Metro Station ($69.5 million) and the Duke Street Transitway ($87 million). The City uses NVTA 30% funds largely for transit capital and operating costs, subject to annual budget consideration by City Council. For a summ...

Click here for full text