City of Alexandria, Virginia
DATE: MAY 10, 2015
TO: THE HONORABLE MAYOR AND MEMBERS OF CITY COUNCIL
FROM: MARK B. JINKS, ACTING CITY MANAGER /s/
Public Hearing and Consideration of Selection of a Locally Preferred Alternative for the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station.
ISSUE: Public Hearing and Selection of a Locally Preferred Alternative for the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station.
RECOMMENDATION: That City Council hold a Public Hearing on the Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) for the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station on May 16, 2015, and at the planned Special City Council Meeting on May 20, 2015:
(1) Designate Alternative B as the LPA for the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station to best support the smart-growth high-density mix of uses envisioned for Potomac Yard, to support the adjacent communities, to maximize Metrorail ridership and to realize the projected transportation, economic development, and fiscal benefits;
(2) Designate Option 2 for construction access;
(3) Adopt the proposed mitigation framework in regard to the National Park Service-administered George Washington Memorial Parkway (GWMP) (see Attachment 1, Table 2 and Appendix B), and authorize the City Manager to negotiate a Net Benefits Agreement with National Park Service (NPS), subject to City Council approval;
(4) Authorize the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) process to proceed to the Final EIS stage;
(5) Authorize an amendment to the City's agreement with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) to authorize and fund the design-build contractor selection process through the next phase of this project; and
(6) Authorize the City Manager to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with WMATA to outline roles and responsibilities throughout the design-build process, subject to City Council approval.
BACKGROUND: Poto...Click here for full text